Monday, January 2, 2012

My Bucket List

Have you found joy in your life? Has your life brought joy to others?  Carter Chambers (Morgan Freeman) The Bucket List 

Ok, I know I am only 40, but I have a bucket list  of things I have done and things I want to do before I die. I have decided to make a framed copy of this list and hang it where I will look at it at least once a day.

The more I think about it the more I think everyone should have a bucket list. You never know what life has to offer and how long you may be here, so why not make the most of it.


My decision to share some of my favorites on the list is not because I want to show you what I want to accomplish, but hoping to inspire you to make your own list. So here it is...


  • Gone on a blind date - completed November 1990 now we are married going on 18 years 
  • Write a childrens book  
  • Tell my children I love them every day- Still working on the every day part
  • Spend a quite night once a week with my husband 
  • Go to Hawaii 
  • Visit all  the National Parks  - so far have been to Acadia, Badlands, Everglades, Gettysburg, Grand Canyon, Wind Cave, Yellowstone 
  • Morning Glory Pool Yellowstone National Park
  • Go to the top of the St. Louis Arch
  • Do something you told yourself you wouldn't. [and lived to tell about it]  completed 1992 Bungee jumping YAHOO! 
  • Go down Bourbon Street in New Orleans
  • Laughed until some kind of beverage came out of my nose & elsewhere- completed several times
  • Caught a snowflake on your tongue - wouldn't mind doing this once this season. 
  • Written a letter to Santa Claus - every year, well actually it's an email ( http://www.emailsanta.com/
  • Been kissed under the mistletoe - Not telling
  • Watched the sunrise with someone
  •  Blown bubbles 
  • Make shaving cream portraits with my kids  
  • Driven across the United States - completed twice 1992 and 2009 
  • Go on a hot air balloon ride in Arizona 
  • Go sky diving...I hope to do this soon!!
  • Lived in more than one country
  • Lay down outside at night and admired the stars while listening to the crickets  at least once a year 
  • Seen a falling star and made a wish- all the time 
  • Enjoyed the beauty of Old Faithful Geyser- completed twice 1992 and 2009
  • Seen the Statue of Liberty- completed 1987 and 1989
  • Gone to the top of Seattle Space Needle
  • Ride on a San Francisco cable car 
  • Go to a rain forest 
  • See whales in the ocean- 3 or 4 times the last time was 2010 
  • Been to Niagara Falls- 1995? this is getting harder to remember the year
  • Ridden on an elephant- I remember the place just can't remember the year
  • Swam with dolphins
  • Go to the Olympics
  • Walked on the Great Wall of China
  • Go to Westminster Abbey
  • Swim in the Dead Sea

You get the idea. Take time for yourself, look at the big picture, life is short make the most of it, watch your children grow, cherish every moment.
Sit down sometime in the next week and make a bucket list, I bet there are some things you have already done, and lots that you can add, no matter how crazy they sound thats half the fun!!  

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed
by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain

I know this...In My Life I hope my Bucket is empty before I go!

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful, Maryann. I feel the same way! My brother died living his dream in Alaska, but everyone that knew him said he crammed 3 lifetimes into his short 32 years. His death made me re-think how I have lived my life and lately I've been considering writing down my Bucket List; now I think I will. Thank you for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete