Wednesday, January 4, 2012

In My Generation

There are a million things that I think about during the course of a day, that may be 1 of the reasons I don't sleep well. Today's thought...In My Generation.

I am a child of the 70's. What does that mean, well if you ask some of the younger generations (when did I become an older generation?) we didn't care about anything pertaining to the environment. I admit growing up, we never recycled, or payed attention to lights being left on all the time, or the cost to fill up the car with gas... BUT...

We used to walk to the grocery store, and didn't get into our cars to go 2-blocks down the street.

Clothes dryer....yea it's called sunshine, go hang the clothes on the line, sometimes even in the winter.

New clothes every 2 months...ha, my mother was a seamstress, if you liked it on the rack, she would make it cheaper!

Mow the lawn meant break out the push mower...no gasoline needed...it builds character.

How many televisions do you have in your house? And how big are they? We had a huge 19 inch set in the living room, and my mom had a cute little 13 inch black and white TV in her bedroom......what's a black and white TV you ask? Do they even make those anymore??

Are you thirsty? Grab yourself a glass and turn on the faucet, no fancy bottled water for us.

 Telephones? Yes we had 1, just 1 and when you dialed, you actually dialed a rotary phone........I hated getting to the 5th or 6th number and screwing up and having to start all over. 
The phone rang, and you had no idea who it was, you actually had to pick it up and say hello, and if someone else called at the same time......busy signal!

Cell phone? What's the point, if someone needed to get a hold of you they either knew where you were or they would call until someone answered the phone at your house...we didn't have answering machines either.

Video games? Nope we had to use our imagination and go outside and play, and if I remember correctly in the summer you were outside from the time you got up until the sun went down, only coming in for lunch. When we did get video games you still had to use your imagination, because the graphics were horrible.
Remember Pong??

Play dates.....if you wanted to go to a friends house, you just went, no need to "schedule" a time.



Life was so much simpler, we were not so busy in our daily lives, you had dinner as a family, your parents knew who your friends were, yes the technology was lacking, but I am not so sure I would miss much of it. so turn off the TV, shut off that cell phone and go take a walk, and think about how "Green" we used to be and how "Green" we are now.

Yup, that's me with a blouse my mother made
I know this...In My Life green is not just a color it's a way of life that needs to be looked at from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment