Sunday, January 29, 2012

Rockin to the 80's

The title sounds kinda funny...Rockin to the 80's




What exactly were the 80's all about? Looking back the style wasn't all that great...sweater dresses, stirrup pants, slouch socks, Jams, and lets not forget the Jeff Spicoli Baja hoodie. But if you were a child of the 80's we thought we looked good.


Ok so now that we are dressed and ready to go...big hair and all, what about the music........there was pop music with the one hit wonders...remember Safety Dance?




What about rap? Run DMC, the Beastie Boys, LL Cool J.

My favorite style of music from the 80's had to be the Hair bands or Heavy Metal bands (just about 1 in the same then). You could never go wrong with a good Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, or Guns N Roses song. I am not really sure when I stopped really listening to them, maybe it was when I stopped wearing stirrup pants and sweater dresses. I don't remember the exact date, but I guess I never looked back and was pretty glad to say goodbye to the 80's.

Bon Jovi 1987 $19.50 a ticket?!? Best concert!
Somehow between then and now I grew up a little had a family, and settled in to my day to day life not thinking about any of that time period...especially the clothes.

So when a friend of mine asked if I wanted to go and see the Broadway musical Rock of Ages, I said ok, not really that excited about it but still wanting to go. Another friend organized a before party, and we were to all dress in 80's style clothes. Before I left the house with my big hair ripped sweatshirt tons of makeup I asked my oldest if he would be embarrassed to be seen in public with me he promptly said YES!! I knew I was ready.

I think there were 20 of us in all, and there were plenty of ripped sweatshirts, converse high tops, leather bomber jackets, stretch pants, and Risky Business attire (the movie not the attitude). When we attend something like this we go all out!! Granted we are sometimes the only ones dressed in character, but thats half the fun. I have to say I had a fantastic time, not only was it a blast from the past, it made me remember something from the 80's I liked....some of the music. As I sit here today listening to Pandora radio and the sounds of Guns N Roses blaring from my computer, happily typing away.

Ok now about the show, if you grew up in any part of the 80's and /or loved the music from that time, go see the show, I had a fantastic time and can't wait to see it again. Here is the synopsis taken right from their website:   www.rockofagesmusical.com

"Set in LA's infamous Sunset Strip in 1987, Rock Of Ages tells the story of Drew, a boy from South Detriot, and Sherrie, a small town girl, both in LA to chase their dreams of making it big and falling in love. Rock Of Ages takes you back to the times of big bands with big egos playing big guitar solos and sporting even bigger hair."

If you get a chance see the show, have a preview party, enjoy the company of some friends, remember some great times, or create some new memories or traditions. The 80's weren't that bad! (except for the clothes)


I know this...In My Life I'll go out and have a good time with friends, but I can't stay out to late, I am getting old!!



Totally bitchin awesome dude!!!
Gnarly

2 comments:

  1. The HUGE eye-glasses were not that flattering, and must I remind you of the Mullet?!? *LMAO!*
    On the other hand, I myself grew a "tail" and got multiple piercings in my ears (both against Catholic School rules) and that was considered quite radical. It cracks me up now to think how easily people were shocked back then. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more of an early 80s person. We were getting over the "disco" hangover from the 70s. New music was welcomed. Men at Work, Human League, Duran Duran, Cyndi Lauper, The Police, Devo. MTV was brand new and actually played music videos!

    ReplyDelete