Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Oh Look a Gift Shop


A man walked into a gift shop that sold religious items. 

Near the cash register he saw a display of caps with "WWJD" printed on all of them. He was puzzled over what the letters could mean, but couldn't figure it out, so he asked the clerk. 

The clerk replied that the letters stood for "What Would Jesus Do," and was meant to inspire people to not make rash decisions, but rather to imagine what Jesus would do in the same situation. 

The man thought a moment and then replied, "Well, I'm sure Jesus wouldn't pay $19.95 for one of these caps."


My kids were getting sick of me because every time we get off a ride in the wonderful craziness of Orlando  I say "oh look a gift shop" it is amazing how much money these theme parks make, but it's a little out of control. An average of about $20.00 day for parking, unless you are staying on property, park food for a family of 5 is about $50.00, and that's without any beverages, lets not forget snacks during the day, and they all want the snacks, because they smell so darn good!
 At the very least if they are going to rob you blind at the gift store, a bottle of water should free. That's not asking much is it? I cannot fathom spending almost $4.00 for a bottle of water, that's just not right. O sure you can drink the water from the water fountain, if you want to gag.

Here's a tip freeze some water bottles that are 1/2 full fill them up in the morning and take them with you.

I think everyone gets into the theme park spirit, my favorite is watching people spend $20-40 on a hat that they will NEVER wear when they return home, I myself have purchased many a Disney hat, but to my defense they were Christmas hats and you can pretty much ask anyone who knows me, and they have seen me wear them. I even used to wear them to work the week of Christmas, before they turned into the house of Grinch.

Kudos to my children for not asking for something from every gift store they went into, this trip they were all given spending money, and were told when it's gone it's gone. It's amazing how little they actually want when it's their money. Their big souvenir this year was engraved dog tags from the various rides, pretty cool, not too big, they can war them or hang them on their back packs...but still a rip off $10.00 each, but better than a plastic doo-hickey that will break in 3.2 seconds.

The only thing that Brian wanted was a sundae from Ghiradelli, used to be tradition for us to stop at Downtown Disney the day before we left do a little shopping and finish off the night at Ghiradelli for sundaes, but this week it didn't look like it was going to happen, you see there was this stomach bug that made it's was around and we lost a day of fun because we were sick, but that's another story. 
We did make it to Downtown Disney and Brian got his sundae, and had a great big smile on his face...it's amazing what ice cream can do.

Even though we spent plenty of money, it will not stop us from going again, except next time I think we will be on the Disney Cruise, that way we can relax.




I know this In My Life... the memories you make are worth more than what you can buy in a gift shop

1 comment: