Thursday, February 16, 2012

2 Adults, 3 Children 1 Minivan


I love to travel, who doesn't

I have been very lucky to have been able to travel to many places, both in the United States, and in other countries.

In 1992 Michael and I traveled by car across this beautiful country, we swore we would do it again but didn't until 2009, only 1 thing was different, we now had 3 boys and none of them wanted to go. After all who wants to spend 2 weeks basically living out of a mini van. 


Wall Drug S Dakota

The famous Jackalope

Crazy Horse Monument
Mount Rushmore
Little Bighorn

The Badlands


Yellowstone
Morning Glory Pool

Old Faithful
Beautiful Bison
Yellowstone River


Somewhere in Wyoming


A Christmas Story House Cleveland OH








Fragile, it must be Italian




It turned out to be 1 of the craziest and best vacations we have ever taken, my boys were able to see places that many children never experience, and learned about this wonderful country we live in to boot. I remember Brian telling a friend of his he went to Yellowstone National Park, and his friend had never heard of it. How crazy is that?!?

Now getting ready for a road trip for any mother, usually means several glasses of wine before. Why do I say this? Well, I will start with packing, not only do we have to pack for us, we have to pack for everyone else, including our husbands. So what does that mean? It means I ALWAYS forget something of mine. One of our last trips it was socks. I have forgotten under ware, pj's, t-shirts, you name it, I have forgotten it. I tried to develop different plans for packing, but most don't work, so I've given up. I will just buy what I need when I get there.

Next would be the car, since I am the mother and taxi, I have the mini van, and before the road trip begins it needs to be cleaned out from the last road trip which means, all the junk under the seats, melted candy and stickers on the window need to be removed, just to make room for more.

Let's talk entertainment. As every good mother knows more than 1 child in the car means fighting...stop touching me....don't look at me....I hate you...just to name a few. If you don't have a portable DVD player in your car you are doomed!! The boys are pretty good and each get to pick movies and take turns watching them.

Food. Unless you have an unlimited supply of cash, and are in no rush to get where you are going, pack snacks, or else at every stop they will want something. Everything from healthy to candy, both for children and adults.

I have often thought about going to Lowes, or Home Depot to purchase a piece of plexi glass to use as a divider between the front seat and the back seat, because by the time we hit 1000 miles I don't care if he stole your snack, he looked at me funny, I can't find my Ipod, or I need batteries. Which brings me to why sometimes we leave at night.....sleeping children.

As we prepare for our next adventure, I can only hope the weather is good, the children are prefect, and ALL the clothes are packed. If not there will be a bottle of wine waiting for me when I get there. (hint hint)





I know this...In My Life there are many potholes in the road, but that won't stop me from enjoying the ride!!

No comments:

Post a Comment