Friday, May 25, 2012

Red, White, Dry, Sweet..Whats your pleasure


"Men are like wine - some turn to vinegar, but the best improve with age." 
~ Pope John XXIII


"If your heart is warm with happiness, you'll need a glass - if sorrow chills your heart, have two!" 
~ Hannu Lehmusvuori



Some interesting tidbits...


Over 20 million acres of land world wide is dedicated to grapes.Grapes are the most planted fruit on the planet
Over 30 million gallons of wine were lost in the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake
Over 10,000 varieties of wine grapes exist on earth.It costs 90 cents per bottle to age wine in a French oak barrelIf you were to only use new French barrels to age wine, it costs $2.50 a bottle to age the wineIf you open a bottle of wine then place it in the fridge, it lasts 6-16 times longer than if you left it at room temperature....who has leftover wine?????Only 5% of an Oak tree is actually usable when making barrels to age wine.California, New York and Florida drink the most wine of all the states in the USA58% of all Americans surveyed by Neilson's drink wineThe average cost of grapes found in a $20 bottle of wine is $2.64California produces roughly 77% of the entire US Grape Crop


I am not a wine aficionado, I kinda wish I was. I enjoy wine, but don't know much about it. 



About 2 years ago I wanted to learn more about wine, but I still haven't learned what I've wanted to. 
I started off buying wine by the look of the label, if it caught my eye I would try it. Not a bad way to start....then if I liked the wine I would keep the bottle so I would remember.....sounds dumb, but now I have a lovely decoration on the top of my cabinets....where most people have fake plastic flowers I have wine bottles and a reference source.


I would love to go on a winery vacation tour maybe out in California, or Italy, but for now I am sticking local. Two of the local winery's in my area are:

Nashoba Valley Winery www.nashobawinery.com/  and 

Hardwick Vineyard Winery www.hardwickwinery.com/.

Nashoba Valley winery is very close to me and I have been there several times, usually just to grab a few bottles in their store, I need to start taking advantage of some of the tastings they have. 

The Hardwick Winery is located in Hardwick Ma and is a great ride on a weekend afternoon. I have only driven by there a few times and again have never taken advantage of what they offer.

Some of my favorite Nashoba Valley wines are Cranberry Apple, and Cherry 


Some of my favorite Hardwick Vineyard wines are Massetts Cranberry, and Yankee Girl Blush.



I also want to head over to our local brew shop Deja Brew www.Deja-brew.com (with a few friends) and try a hand at making my own wine, you can also make your own beer...but that's another post.




I am always looking for good recommendations, and one of my favorites came from a co-worker... Adesso Cagnina Di Romagna...a sweet dark red wine.



So until I become a wine expert I will continue enjoying the ones I have already tried, make room for some new ones, and maybe make my own soon.



More interesting facts.....


One standard acre of grapevines

= Produces 5 tons of grapes
=3,985 bottles of wine
=797 gallons of wine
=15,940 glasses of wine
=13.5 barrels of wine

One barrel of wine

=1,180 glasses of wine
=24.6 cases of wine

One Case of Wine

=30 pounds of grapes
=48 glasses of wine
=12 bottles of wine

One bottle of wine

=2.4 pounds of grapes
=4 glasses of wine...or 1 big one
=4 happy people...I'm not sharing




Deep Fried Oreos and a glass of Wine 






I know this...In My Life I am going to learn new things, and try and have fun learning them in my own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment