Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Don't Run With Scissors!!



“Don’t run with scissors!” And then I clapped my hand over my mouth the instant the words came out.

I have become my mother... just without the Italian accent.

I knew it had happened to me when I told one of my kids to be sure they were wearing clean underwear in case they were in an accident.

Oh my!!

Thinking about it in length, however, I’ve come to realize I have become not just my mother, but many women.

Remember the movie Sybil when you were a kid? How Sally Field had a couple dozen “personalities” living inside her, each coming out when he or she was most needed? Well, same thing here. Many hands make light work of this parenting game.

Most of the personalities I admire are Moms from TV or the movies. Some are not even Moms, but I still need them or want some of their killer qualities.

These are some of my favorite, and the reasons why...

1) Martha Stewart. First off let me say I am not a fan of Martha, and I mean no disrespect, but there is no way I could accomplish what she does without going completely insane. BUT I call on my Martha like qualities anytime one of my kids has a school project due in 12 hours. With her composed assistance I am able to procure Styrofoam balls, hot glue, and sequins, and help them to craft a Nobel-worthy creation.


2) Carol Brady. I admit it: I’m jealous. She is a stay-at-home mom of six with a handsome, professional husband and full-time domestic help. I am not jealous of her being a stay at home mom (I enjoy working) or her having a handsome husband (my husband is pretty handsome too). I want an Alice! If I had an Alice I could float through the house with perfect make-up, nails and dress, (maybe not a dress, but nice jeans) while Alice took care of the cooking and cleaning so I could tend to Marsha’s broken nose or try to discern if Greg is telling the truth about those cigarettes in his pocket.


3) Gloria Pritchett. (From Modern Family) I want a killer body, and if I can't have the killer body, I want killer hair, that I don't have to spend hours trying to make it look killer.


4) Minnie (from The Help) With a can of Crisco in hand, Minnie could rule the world. She could fry up a chicken, get a tangle out of someone’s hair, and quiet that squeaky hinge.


5) Roseanne Connor. I sometimes need Roseanne’s tell-it-like-it-is mouth, with no filter. Problem is, my version of Roseanne usually shows up late and I end up telling someone off in my head on the drive home.


6) Nurse Ratched. (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest) OK, not a Mom, but kind of motherlike, nevertheless, I want her cool, quiet, composure while all hell is breaking loose around her. ”Mr. Cheswick, sit down. I will answer your question when you are calm. Are you calm now, Mr. Cheswick?”


7) Shirley Partridge. I need her when it’s time to get all the kids someplace. Anyone who can get five kids out the door and to a gig on time has got my vote for having it all together. Plus, she can solve any of the kid’s problems by singing a song.

8) Morticia Adams. Let’s face it, she looks fabulous in black, and she runs her family smoothly, all while keeping just enough of a kooky edge about the place.


9) Marge Simpson (The Simpson's). She loves all of her children just the same, even though one is a genius and another is a troublemaker. Anyone who can keep this dysfunctional family functioning is a hero.

10) Maria Von Trapp (Julie Andrews) who couldn’t love her. Julie Andrews is one of my favorites. Maria was one of a kind; she could wrangle all those kids and merrily skip through Austria singing without a care in the world. If I tried that my kids would think I am nuts.






The one mom I admire the most would have to be my mom. Although she died when I was only 15 I still think she had a major influence on the way I parent today. I hope that she is looking down on me and smiling. I am proud to become more and more like her every day…..I just wish I had a few more of her homemade cooking skills (I do have a few) or patience to crochet.
Mom, I love and miss you and I think about you every day, I hope I have made you proud.

Faces painted after coming back from St Anthony's festival in Boston


I know this…In My Life you are given many opportunities to change the way things are done, but you may not need to change them at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment