Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Life Begins at 40?!?







Someone once said... "Life begins at 40" - but so does fallen arches, rheumatism, fallen eyesight, and the tendency to tell a story to the same person 3 or 4 times. 


I have never complained about aging, why bother I can't stop it so may as well embrace it.

I have to admit, I do look back and remember when I would stay up all hours of the night, then sleep until noon, and do it all over again the next night. I guess I kind of do that now, but it's for work and not fun with my friends. Now I go to bed at 9 and get up at 4:30.....good lord what have I become?!?

Things are different than they were 20 years ago, and I am not talking about technology,  I am talking about what certain things mean now as opposed to 1992....here is my top ten


10. You have quit trying to hold your stomach in no matter who walks into the room. This is mostly for the guys, I think the ladies out there still hold it in, and if you re one of those that have nothing to "hold in" there maybe a separate blog about "skinny bitches" later. Just kidding, I love all my skinny bitches.


Yes! a reason to hold it in..lol


 9. Your health insurance is finally beginning to pay off. Even if its not paying off for you yet, start thinking about what services they offer and take advantage.

 8. You are no longer viewed as a hypochondriac. This is especially true the day after your 40th birthday, everyone over 40 used to tell me they noticed problems shortly after they turned 40... Thought they were nuts, nope they weren't.



 7. Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can't remember them either. This goes back to telling a story 3-4 times.

 6. You no longer need to learn the hard way. And if you are 40 or older and they tell you this, they are probably in their 20's, and probably your supervisor.

 5. You no longer need to think of speed limits as a challenge. Sometimes as I am driving my minivan and a cool car pulls up next to me at the red light, I often think I could blow them out of the water when the light turns green, but my children fighting in the backseat remind me that I am embarrassing them and that I am driving a minivan. I will wait for my midlife crisis to be the one with the cool car at the red light.



 4. When your in a group taken hostage you are the first to be released. A definite plus.

 3. Your joints are more accurate meteorologists than the Weather Channel. When my knee aches, rain!



 2. You sing along with elevator music. I think this bothers me the most. Elevator music is supposed to be terribly old songs that you've never heard of, not good music from the 70's.

 1. Your supply of brain cells is finally down to a size you can manage. This is probably good and bad. I used to be able to go to a store without a list, now forget about it, but I still have tons of useless knowledge that gets me nowhere, unless it's trivia night.



What have I gathered from all of this? I am 40 soon to be 41, I had lots of fun back in my 20's, I started growing up somewhere in my mid 20's. Realized I couldn't do what I used to do in my mid 30's, but still tried, and now paying for it in my 40's. 


After a rocky start to the end of my 30's and beginning of my 40's as far as my health was concerned, I am embracing every year, living my life to the fullest, and enjoying every moment with friends and family, and will probably still be in bed by 9, but will see the sunrise every day!
40th Birthday Toast With great friends.
















I know this...In My Life I will take the achy knees, the early bedtime, and the minivan, as long as I have great friends and a wonderful family to share my life with!

















No comments:

Post a Comment