Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Do They Have Hot Dogs in Italy??







OK, so most of you know I would love to raise my 3 boys in Italy, and have been pursuing a move there. My paperwork to obtain citizenship through my mother is on its way from the Italian Consulate in Boston to Cento, Italy where my parents grew up. I have family there (actually all my cousins, aunts and uncles) my brothers, myself, our spouses, and our children are the only ones living here.  

We were born here and I love this country, but I would love to live there. Obtaining dual citizenship is a fantastic opportunity, and I do not think my mother realized what she did for us by not getting her citizenship until after I was born. I hope to pass my heritage, that I am extremely proud of to my children and open up some fantastic doors for them when they are older. Even if we never make the move, this is the least I can do for them.

That being said, what would I miss if I lived there? My husband and I often discuss what we would miss, most things relate to food. He's always asking me do they have.....in Italy?

Here are some things I would miss, I am almost positive they do not have these in Italy...

Brown sugar- I have heard that you cannot get this in Italy
Canned pumpkin- I will have to use fresh pumpkin
Cranberries, not sure if they have canned cranberry sauce
There is a theme developing here........
Whole turkey....apparently turkey is available but you have to find a butcher that can special order a whole one for you.
OK so yes I would miss the whole Thanksgiving feast, but I think it could be done


Peanut butter
Egg Nog
Kraft macaroni and cheese- sadly one of my favorites
Strawberry Quick (Nicholas would miss that)
Dunkin Donuts Iced Coffee
Maple syrup
Pancake mix
American style hot dogs
Pop tarts- Never eat them, but I would miss them 
Buffalo wings- I would have to bring a giant stash of Franks Red Hot Sauce with me.
Maine lobster dripping with butter- no comparison



National Parks- Simply amazing here
Disney World- Euro Disney doesn't compare
The size and amazing differences in every state.


I am sure most of the food items can be found and shipped...thank goodness for the Internet. If I couldn't find them it is a great excuse to come back for a visit or open my door for friends to visit.
Quite a list, is it worth it? Well I may as well list some things I wouldn't miss

Processed foods that we seem to eat out of convenience
Aisle upon aisle of snack foods



American ice cream- sorry but gelato cannot compare
Michael said he wouldn't miss grits (we don't really ever have grits)
How about a fast paced lifestyle?
Traffic jams on the Friday night summer escape
The we have a bigger house and make more money than you mentality
Spoiled kids...that being said....

What about the differences between American children and Italian children?

American Kids: Move out when they’re 18 with the full support of their parents.
Italian Kids: Move out when they’re 28, having saved for that nice
house and are a week away from getting married …. unless there’s room in the basement for the newlyweds.

American Kids: When their Mom visits them she brings a nice bundt cake and you sip coffee and chat.
Italian Kids: When their Mom visits them she brings 3 days worth of food and begins to immediately tidy up, dust, do the laundry or rearrange the furniture.

American Kids: Their dads always call before they come over to visit them and its usually only on special occasions.
Italian Kids: Are not at all fazed when their dads come over,
unannounced, on a Saturday morning at 8:00 and starts pruning the fruit trees. And if there are no fruit trees, he will plant some!

American Parents: You can leave your kids with them and you always worry if everything is going to be OK plus you have to feed them after you pick them up.
Italian Parents: No problem, leave your kids there and if they get out of line your parents can set them straight …. plus they get fed.

American Kids: Always pay retail and look in the yellow pages when they need something done.
Italian Kids: Just call their dad or uncle and ask for another dad’s or uncle’s phone number to get it done …. 

American Kids: Will come over for cake and coffee and get only cake and coffee, no more.
Italian Kids: Will come over for cake and coffee and get antipasto, a few bottles of wine, a pasta dish, a choice of two meats, salad, bread, potatoes, a nice dessert cake, fruit, coffee and a few after dinner drinks …. time permitting there will be a late lunch as well.

American Kids: Think that being Italian is a great thing.
Italian Kids: Know that being Italian is a great thing.

American Kids: Never ask the reason you have no food.
Italian Kids: Are the reason you have no food.

American Kids: Will say ‘hello”.
Italian Kids: Will give you a big hug and a kiss, pinch your cheeks,
and pat you on the back.

American Kids: Call your parents Mr. and Mrs.
Italian Kids: Call your parents Mom and Dad.

American Kids: Will eat at your dinner table and leave.
Italian Kids: Will spend hours there, talking, laughing and just being together.



I am not saying that living there will make my children, life, or attitude better, but I have an opportunity to try, and why not do it instead of living and wondering what would have been. 




I know this...In My Life when opportunity knocks you have to answer the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment