Sunday, March 18, 2012

My Quest



As most of you may know I am very proud of my Italian heritage, I am also very proud to be an American. 
I have been very lucky over the past 2 years to have been able to travel back to Italy twice. The first trip back in October of 2010 was with my 2 brothers, and it had been a very long time since we had been there, for me it was 1989, for my brother David it had been 1996, and for my brother Will it had been since 1974. Needless to say it was a very emotional trip for the 3 of us. The second was with my husband and kids in April of 2011.

My aunt, Me, David, Will, and my Uncle
Venice, April 2011
Both my parents were born in Italy and immigrated to the United States shortly after they were married. I often asked my mother why they decided to leave everything and move to a country where they did not speak the language and didn't know anyone. I always got the same answer, "to give us a better life". My parents worked very hard to learn the language and were very proud when they became US citizens. 

Mom and Dad's Wedding Picture 1958
After my father passed away in 1977 I always thought we would move back to Italy, but my brothers were already teenagers and my mother was always thinking of us, but I knew she longed to go back.

It was after our trip in April 2011 that I began my quest. We had such a wonderful time, my children wanted to live there, and Michael also thought it would be something he would like to try. 
Fishing at my cousin Sauro's house

A visit to the Lamborghini Factory

Enjoying some wonderful gelato, from our favorite gelateria Il Presidente in Renazzo

Some of my family, Easter 2011

I wanted to see what it would take to become an Italian citizen, while still keeping my American citizenship, basically hold dual citizenship. While the US does not recognize dual citizenship, they do not penalize you for having it.

I found a web site that (actually several) that helped me start. I found out that while my dad renounced his Italian citizenship, my mother did not until after myself and my brothers were born. This was good news, it meant that basically we were already Italian citizens, and just needed to provide the documents needed to prove this.

So off I went. I obtained both my parents Naturalization papers, through the Records of Vital Statistics. Then I went into Boston got copies of mom and dads death certificates, my birth certificate, the boys birth certificates, and our marriage certificate. These documents have to be obtained in Boston, because they are certified copies and they cannot be from the town you were born in (crazy huh). Then a hop, skip and a jump over to the Secretary of States office to have an Apostle done. An Apostle is basically a form stating that the certified copy is certified!?!

Next I needed my parents birth certificates and marriage certificate. Since they were both born and married in Italy, (this is where most people have a difficult time) I sent a quick email to my cousin who was able to get the documents and send them to me.

I started the whole process last June and by now it was late October and decided to wait until after the holidays to make my call to the Italian consulate.


Fast forward to March, my laziness has gotten the best of me. I still haven't called the consulate. I think part of the reason I haven't called is because Michael constantly reads the forums about experiences people have had at the consulate in Boston, and frankly I was a little nervous, some of them were not good.
So I called the other day, the person I spoke to, don't know if I ever got his name or not, (I was nervous) was very kind, asked me a few questions, I think, or I hope I impressed him, and my appointment has been set for the end of April.
If all my paperwork is correct, I should be good to go and learn about my Quest for  Italian citizenship by the summer.

European Union member states


As I said before, I am very proud to be an American, but doing this will also give my children a wonderful opportunity in their futures. In this world today, to be competitive in the workplace, you have to be able to look ahead. If my children ever have the good fortune to work in another country, for whatever the reason, I am providing them with that opportunity. Even if we never move to Italy, providing them with their heritage will also give them the advantage to work in any European Union country without obstacles, and my children are the future.





I know this....In My Life my quests may be large or small, but in the end they will always have a personal meaning to me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment